Health and safety breaches in legislation with no training in place has dire results.
What a terrible way to die as an employee died when the industrial blender he was clearing unexpectedly started up.
Rettenmaier UK Manufacturing Limited, of Strawberry Way, Crown Farm Industrial Estate, Forest Town Mansfield, admitted breaching guilty to Section 2 of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974, and Regulation 3(1)(a) of the Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1999 and was fined £200,000 with costs of £100,000.
The findings of the court found the following failings
- there was no written system of work or instructions for isolation;
- there was no instruction to lock off isolators;
- there were no manuals or written instructions for operating plant;
- there was no proper training for staff; and
- there were no risk assessments for any work on the plant.
To read more see article below, At first4safety we are just bemused why no one is being locked up for this blatant failure in management control, leading to a fatal accident.